Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Last Day in Amsterdam

I'd like to live here someday. This city feels like something you want to be part of instead of something you just peer at through the thick, smudgy glass of tourism.

I had an hour to kill today at Amsterdam Centraal so I ordered a smoothie of indeterminate contents at Shakie's. I somehow managed to entirely avoid bringing a change purse to Europe so all of my Euro coins are jangling freely in my purse, begging to be liberated (and I'm sure a few of them have been). As I dumped my change on the counter, one of the coins (to my abject horror) rolled off the counter and into a pitcher of fresh juice.

The woman next to me gasped, then laughed. I was mortified. I instantly launched into a loud American whine rendition of the familiar classic "Oh my gooooosh! I'm sooooooooo soooorry!" The cashier, to her credit, simply offered a classy smile and a "no worries" and then dumped out the juice and handed me back my Euro, now coated in a delightful combination of fresh organic orange and apple juice.

Five minutes later, making my way through the train station and still recovering from my extreme mortification, an attractive guy in his late twenties stopped me, presumably to ask for directions.

"Excuse me, do you speak French?"

I smiled apologetically and and shook my head. "I'm sorry, only English."

"Oh," he said with a smile, "Well, you are very beautiful."

My jaw dropped and I stood there for probably a full second before stammering an insightful, "Oh."

AND THEN HE WALKED AWAY.

My jaw remained in the fully dropped position for at least thirty seconds before I recovered. As a member of the fairer sex, I'm no stranger to the "Heyyyyyy, gorgeous" (usually drawled from a car window), the "Got a boyfriend?" (usually inquired by a fellow passenger on public transportation), and even the rarer awkward-wall-lean-with-stammer at a party. But this may have been my first acquaintance with the hot-French-guy-just-wants-me-to-know-I'm-beautiful-and-then-walks-away.

Ten minutes later, it occurred to me that I'd probably been pickpocketed.

I checked.

Everything's there.

Have I mentioned that I love the French?

11 comments:

Jessica Krug said...

Hahahahahaha. Looks like your luck is changing, playa!

I never like to say I told you so, but...

The French are the Devil, though, so he may have stolen one of your internal organs in the process. I would definitely check to make sure.

Anonymous said...

I am so terribly sorry (for myself) that I wasn't able to see you and hug you before your adventure but am delighted that I get to read about it as it unfolds. Your clumsiness is oddly graceful in your honesty and your wide-eyed nature is absolutely lovely. I will be checking in on you every chance I get. I send my love! - Jana

Laurie said...

You know, now that you mention it, I haven't seen my spleen since this afternoon...

Daddy-o said...

You *are* very beautiful; and I'm not 'hot', 'french' or a pick-pocket either. I do not have a motive and am *totally* impartial.

Love,
Daddy-O :^)

Anonymous said...

one time, my friend and i were outside the memorial union, and this french dude came up to us, looked at her, and said: "beautiful. but you're american...so i can't." and walked away.

three days later, she died of spleenlessness.

okay, that last part isn't true. but maybe the french just like the ladies to know when they are beautiful. i mean, he ain't wrong, yo.

Anonymous said...

When the French do it it is amazing, yet when I do it you get all "restraining order" on me? Consistency, Laurie!

That's great what you said about Amsterdam, I totally think you should live there (at some point)! There's nothing like falling in love with a place. That means that everywhere you go there, it you remain in the warm embrace of love. That's nice to have.

I love On A Jetplane, Starkie! Kee 'er up!

Charmingly Feisty said...

I am really enjoying your travels and you've only (only. haha!) been to two countries so far.
I'm literally hanging here waiting for more!

Anonymous said...

Seriously Laurie, OnAJetPlane is the new pink.

Sounds like you are having a great time so far, Amsterdam sounds wonderful! It's funny just the other day I was saying to Martin that I would like to live there one day. And then you said it!

Anyways, you are probably off to the next country already!

ps: Hey Laurie's dad!

ProudLion said...

Laurie, perhaps a comment from a distant first cousin once removed will be considered more objective and substantive?

You are beautiful.

Jerry

Daddy-o said...

Hello Miss Lauren! Hope everything is doing well, for you, in New York. Lauries' trip is exciting now, but wait til she shows you six hours of vacation slides... for the tenth time. ;^)

Hey, Punkin. How's Germany? Will you get a chance to see any part of the 'Berlin Wall'? Or is any of it left standing?

Daddy-O

Anonymous said...

Hey Cousin Laurie
Sorry we didn't get to see you before you left- I believe that I heard you were in town about the same time you were leaving. So much for family communication...but, I must say that I am truly jealous that you got to Europe before I did. Here I am planning a possible trip to England/Ireland in October- and hearing about all of the wonderful things you are seeing. Maybe we can sit down and compare notes someday!
Travel safe...
Teri