Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Back in the Czech Republic

We were nearing Breclav so I stood up and started attaching my bags to myself. The elderly man sharing my compartment sipped his mandarin juice and eyed me thoughtfully. I thought he might be about to speak to me but he didn't.

That's usually when people speak to you, when the train's about to stop. They're afraid to say much before that because they might get stuck talking to you for the rest of the journey, but at the end they can satisfy their curiousity about you without fear of entanglement.Where are you from? Where are you going? That's all anyone ever wants to know.

It turns out that the optimism of yesterday's post was completely unwarranted. Yesterday was a dark day in every sense of the word. We're back to rain again and the people from the school in Paris wrote me back to explain that they'd made yet another mistake and actually I can't come to school there after all and then my train to Olomouc simply never showed up so that I was stranded at the train station in Breclav for hours and hours and hours with a bag of potato chips and an overwhelming sense of defeat.

If there was ever a moment on this trip (and, truth be told, there've been several of them) when I wished that I was with someone, it was sitting on that cold, concrete platform in the rain, tear-stained and beaten down and ready to just give in to whatever life lesson I was supposed to be taking from all this.

The people at the information center in the Breclav train station don't speak any English so obtaining information from them presented a challenge. After several increasingly desperate visits, they managed to convey to me that another train was going to Olomouc (what happened to the first train will remain a mystery) but that I'd have to change trains yet again and I wouldn't arrive at my destination until almost midnight. A seven dollar phone call to my hostel assured me that I could take a taxi from the Olomouc train station to avoid being mugged in the dark.

Lovely.

Many exhausted hours later, I was finally in a lumpy but otherwise perfectly suitable bed in a small town in the middle of the Czech Republic. It felt like a bittersweet success.

People often talk about going on a trip like this to 'find themselves'. I don't mean this in a melodramatic way but I actually feel that I've lost myself entirely. I have never in my life been less sure of myself than I've become on this trip, and that includes middle school.

I think part of the way that we understand ourselves is by a process of forced self-definition. We say 'I am like this' and we say it over and over until we believe that it's true. We say it to our family, we say it to our friends, we say it to ourselves. We say it to nearly anyone and everyone who will listen and by this process we develop an identity that can be put into words.

You may agree with me that we never remember our dreams, we only remember the stories that we tell about them until our false memory of that dream becomes more real than the dream itself. I think it's the same with ourselves, or with myself. It's not myself that I know but instead it's the stories that I tell about myself. The person that I think I know is a fiction.

Anyway.

I'll tell you something, though. If you're going to discover that you never truly knew yourself, I don't recommend doing so on the cold, rainy platform of a train station in the middle of the Czech Republic. If you're going to have that kind of realization, I think an ideal location would be a cushy armchair, preferably with a cup of hot cocoa. Of course, it probably wouldn't occur to you under those circumstances.

So here I am in the middle of the Czech Republic with a plane ticket from Budapest to Istanbul, a plane ticket from Bratislava to Paris, and a plane ticket from Paris to London but no accommodations beyond tomorrow night and no onward train ticket out of this town. I'm not quite sure what to do about all of that but if you've got any ideas, I'm currently accepting them.

This is a nice place, I think, but I haven't really seen it yet. All I've seen is that I have my own bedroom with a door that closes and that is enough to say that I love this town. Last night, the owner insisted on keeping me up to tell me all about Olomouc and its many attractions but I was already half asleep and the only thing I remember was him telling me something about a place that serves chocolate pie and I thought, 'Chocolate pie and my own bedroom? I must be in heaven.'

It occurred to me last night, while studying the illegible graffiti of the OS 4223 that going to law school may be an outrageous mistake. Ok, I know for a fact that 80% of you just groaned audibly (the other 20% are probably skimming this paragraph). I just don't know anything anymore, that's all. I just don't know one single thing.

Maybe to really find yourself, you have to lose yourself first.

I think I'm going to go find that chocolate pie.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

i emailed you...

chris said...

I don't know what to do. Personally, I would need something more familar, more safe, where I wouldn't have to be on guard all the time. It feels like the inability to communicate is one stress you can eliminate. I don't know what your plans were, but if I were in your position, I think I would be tempted to board that plane to Paris, take the chunnel train to London, stay the night in London, go to an internet cafe (easyeverything?) to research a cottage...then retreat to the Scottish countryside. That's what I would do, but it's only because I've been there and have good, rejuvinating memories from there.

I know what you mean about going somewhere to "find yourself" only to go and then find yourself disintegrating. Let me know if I can do anything. You're welcome to come here to Rome, but I don't know if this would be a good place to recover.

Laurie said...

First of all, Leigh, you are fantastic. Thank you for sending me those links. I contacted another school in Paris that claims to have a beginner's course starting next Monday. I'm crossing my fingers.

Chris, that idea sounds absolutely lovely and I think it will be my back up if this Paris school doesn't work out. I actually feel so much better here in Olomouc. Having a door you can close is a privilege that I will never again take for granted (until I've been back in the States for a few days). My hostel is really beautiful and the people (when I see them which is practically never) are incredibly nice. The town is quiet and the tiny grocery store sells about 87 different kinds of fake meat. Fake meat always makes me feel better as do hot showers and I had one of those, too.

Anonymous said...

i'm glad i could help! i hope everything works out ok!

Anonymous said...

Oy. All I can say is if you get completely turned around, upside down, and dumbstruck by the Bewildebeest, turn your next ticket in for one to Mallorca, and dangle your feet in the in the Med. That'll straighten you out, for certain.

Anonymous said...

Also, start Life of Pi immediately!

Unknown said...

*hug*
I have no insightful advice or anything. I just want to tell you that I am following you on your journey and that yes, sometimes you have to lose yourself to find yourself. Don't give up :)
Hooray for Leigh and Chris and their helpful ideas!

Laurie said...

Thanks, Lisa.

Scott, that looks gorgeous. I just started The Wind-up Bird Chronicle but I've moved Life of Pi to next on my list.

Laurie said...

p.s. I have a vague idea that you might actually be the person who recommended Life of Pi to me originally. Well, I don't know if you recommended it specifically to me but you may have mentioned it on your blog. I'd forgotten about that.

Anonymous said...

I love you, Laurie, and I want you to know I have been reading your blog and that I am there with you in spirit, and that I think you are a beautiful strong resilient person and an even more beautiful strong resilient woman on top of all that, so you can do this, don't give up, and thanks for sharing the truth of your travels, it makes them all the more genuine and amazing.

Anonymous said...

Also, I'm very glad you have friends who can give you good advice. That's priceless. You have all the support from all of your friends back here in the states, for whatever that is worth!

Laurie said...

Thank you, Naomi! I'm glad that I have such good friends, too. Anthony (and probably others) will be gratified to hear that this trip has reminded me how much I really do need other people (just like that Barbra Streisand song).