Tuesday, July 31, 2007

The World's Worst Zen Proverb

I was walking tonight, nose in a map, when I almost subconsciously noticed out of the corner of my eye that an old man walking just ahead of me was struggling to drag something down the sidewalk. Absent-mindedly, I reached out and grabbed the back of it as I studied my map. He said 'Merci' and it was about half a block before I realized that I was walking down the street, carrying a filthy old mattress with a homeless man. I still didn't know where I was so I walked a few more blocks with him until I figured out where I had to turn. I think he was blind in one eye.

I found Europe's largest Chinatown tonight by accident. I seem to find everything here by accident and whenever I try to find something on purpose, I can't. I think I just wrote the world's worst zen proverb.

In other news, I went back to class today and the cute boy still works at Starbucks. He is still cute. The only thing I have said to him is "Je voudrais un grand latte avec soja, s'il vous plaît" but when he handed me my drink this morning, he said "Un grand latte avec soja" and then added, I thought meaningfully, "For Laurie," pronouncing my name in that incredibly charming way that French people do. It actually had not previously occurred to me that it was charming but it truly, truly is.

6 comments:

chris said...

koan?

Lauren said...

at the end of this adorable post I actually tried to say your name like I imagined this cute starbucks boy would, but somehow I made it sound like am 80 year old German man doing a Mexican accent. And let me just tell you before you try it, its NOT BEAUTIFUL.

Laurie said...

Nope, this one was a proverb. Ok, fine, yes, koan. Jerk.

Laurie said...

Your way probably sounded better, Lauren.

chris said...

:P

Laurie said...

Also, for the benefit of those practicing at home, the Parisian way of pronouncing my name is "Loh-RHEE" with emphasis on the second syllable and the "r" pronounced as a French "r" as opposed to an American "r" (sort of in the back of your throat).