Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Highs and Lows

Krakow is clean, safe, and walkable and my hostel here is pleasant and comfortable.

I am bored out of my mind.

Right now, I'm scheduled to stay in Krakow until Friday at which time I have tickets for a night train to Budapest. I have several issues with this itinerary:

  1. I don't really want to spend two more days in Krakow because although it's lovely and the people in my hostel are nice, I'm ready to move on.
  2. I do not want to take another night train. Ever.
  3. My train doesn't leave until 22:30 but I have to check out of my hostel at 10:00 which leaves me with over 12 hours to wander the city and it will almost certainly be raining since I think it's rained every single day of my trip so far.
  4. I am suddenly totally unexcited about going to Budapest.
That last issue is weird because I've wanted to go to Budapest for a really long time and I've heard nothing but good things about it but I'm starting to feel like if you've seen one Eastern European city, you've seen them all (which I don't think is actually true). The problem is that I already have hostels, trains, and flights booked for that time period. What I really want to do is just scrap the whole thing but I think I would lose a lot of money if I did that.

I also still haven't planned the last three and a half weeks of my trip and I have no idea what to do with that time.

Anyway, I'm feeling kind of frustrated today. Some of my hostelmates and I were talking last night about the highs and lows you experience when traveling solo. Today isn't the lowest of the lows but I'm definitely not feeling the greatest.

1 comment:

Charmingly Feisty said...

I'm sorry it's a down day for you. I dunno, maybe you'll run into Zsa Zsa Gabor in Budapest? Isn't that where she's from? You seem to run into lots of interesting people, so...

Well, maybe she's not necessarily interesting but you'd have a good story to tell.