Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Highs and Lows, Part II

I'm feeling much better. I decided to just write off today as a freebie and as a result I've done shockingly little with my time. I spent most of the morning reading in the kitchen (have you read Capote's In Cold Blood? if so, please tell me that it eventually stops reading like a bad Unsolved Mysteries dramatic re-enactment), did a load of laundry, mailed a postcard, and ran an errand at the train station across the street, where I successfully exchanged my night train for a day train.

There is a bounty of vegetarian food here in Krakow but I've had trouble finding fake meat until today when I hit the fake meat jackpot in a most unlikely place. Across the street from our hostel, there is a huge fancypants shopping mall. You have to kind of walk through the shopping mall to get to the train station (it's as weird as it sounds) and while walking through the mall today, I stumbled across a health food store with tons of fake meat! Fake meat always improves my mood.

Tomorrow I'm visiting Wawel castle and maybe the Jewish district if the rain decides to give us a break. I wasn't exaggerating when I said that it's rained every day of my trip. Friday morning I leave bright and early for a delightful eleven hour train ride through Poland, Slovakia, and Hungary and then it's on to Budapest.

2 comments:

Reverend AC said...

I just made fake meat for lunch today, and thought of you! I thought that if you were cooking it, you'd have come up with zanier and more exciting combinations than I had.

Anonymous said...

in response to your other entry, yes, all the eastern european capitals can start looking exactly the same. i don't remember much about Budapest, but i would HIGHLY recommend the Kiraly thermal baths.